Wow, it’s been a hectic start-of-the-month, from Band competitions winding down, to my birthday, to the self-stressed Anniversary of my first night in my apartment (and thus, logistically “Separated” even if legally still married). November is traditionally a limnal time for me, and more-so these last two years. I’ve developed some good habits, and some bad ones.
This blog entry is to keep myself accountable, and track my Progress. No need to follow along, but comments are always welcome to
boost my ego Offer Encouragement. 😛 This may change once I adapt to the new habits, and the overall Arc of Change crystalizes better.
- Weight: 189lbs. Ugh. Goal is 168 which I was when Tammy was doing her Fitness challenge, and I was unofficially keeping up, though this also was “stress not-eating” post divorce-separation also. Still, this felt like a good weight, in terms of knees being happy, and clothes fitting well.
- Jogs: a block or so before feeling winded. UGH!! (still can’t get stamina up, doctor just says exercise moar)
- Schedule: On average, finally asleep by 10pm at most, alarm set at 4:30am. Usually can’t fall asleep earlier, even if in bed by 8pm. Brain whirrs too loud. …for hours.
- Drinks: Still wanting daily, some days powerfully.
- Drink less.
- Read more (facebook/etc does not count as reading).
- Get better sleep.
- Eat better food.
- Exercise more.
- Grumble Less.
- Projects more.
- Drink Less. For the last year, I have gotten into the habit of drinking at least a beer (usually with a shot of scotch, or a martini) every night before bed. Every night. To the point that if I do not, I start eying up the cough syrup or counting pennies to grab a case of Yuengling or such to “carry the week”. I don’t really tend to get Drunk, but will have at least 2 beers in quick succession (or the martini, etc) to feel nicely relaxed and lightly buzzed. Less than that is “not enough”.
At the full moon(ish) I stopped drinking. I didn’t quite go cold-turkey like I wanted to, but consulted with my doctor and went a few days off, with permission to “finish the bottles I had” if needed. That third day, I needed! After a good week of SEVERE irritability and longing glances at the hand sanitizer bottle (eek!) I am now able to sip a beer with friends, nad stop there, and fall asleep without feeling buzzy. Takes me a good hour to do so (see below), but the day I had my beer I fell asleep much more soundly. So it’s still in the Learning Curve stage to reset that habit. Still flashes of irritability or Scotch-would-taste-SOOO-GOOOD moments, but it’s definitely a phychological addiction-feel than a “must get buzzed” or longing for it at work, or something. It’s definitely the Nightly Habit that is needing to be broken as a “pre-sleep-ritual”, in a sense.
- Drink Less: Due potentially to lack of sleeps and mild dehydration (hangover?) and over-tiredness in the morning, I am burning through a pot of Coffee a day, myself. After the morning Perk-me-up-cup, I tend to sip it iced, in a big thermos mug through the entirety of work. Weekends when it’s just the sprog and I, I can tell I get rather cranky and headache in the later afternoon. Having a caffeinated beverage then for dinner perks me right up again. This should
- Read More. I used to work at a library. I used to get picked on by my parents for not knowing where Anything was in town, because my nose was in a book as soon as my butt hit the car. (not while driving mine, while travelling in theirs!) I used to read a solid hour before bed and Dream Wonderous Dreams. I kinda lost that, and feel sad about Adulting too much lately. Reading is important. Not just for escapist fantasy, but for mental health and exercise. Read more, instead of browsing Facebook/Netflix in evening, is my goal. Less commercials and ads in books, anyway. 😛
- Get Better Sleep. See benchmark above. My routine lately has me so wound up and alternately stressed or Relaxed with free evenings ot Get Stuff Done, that even if I am technically in bed by 8pm on off nights, I cant actually fall asleep until closer to 10pm. My alarm is set for 4:30am to get ready and into work on time. This involves a 20 minute snooze after the first alarm. (I work 6am-2, but like to leave the house closer to 5:20). Weekends when I can sleep In until whenever, I relish. Usually still wake up around 4-5, but the best feeling is going back to sleep and waking up naturally around 9-9:30am! guess I need more sleep!
- Eat better food. This one is moving forward quite well, actually. Lately, I have been making lots of “leftovers” for lunch, instead of bringing meat&potatoes every meal, with chips or trail mix, or other high-calorie foodstuffs. My current favorite is “Jonerobi” salad, named after a co-worker. Broccoli, red onion, carrot slices, bell peppers, feta cheese, and a mixture of black beans, garbonzos, and red kidney beans, Tossed together. Each morning, slice some cucumber (or maybe mushrooms, or maybe both) into that day’s portion and dress with a homemade lemon balsamic vinaigrette. I can make a huge container of this for the entire week, for under $7 and it keeps me full all day, and seems healthy enough! Add a cup of yoghurt and granola for “breakfast” (interspersed with a fried egg to keep it different), and I already lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. Blood pressure (which was WAY up) has already simmered down too, with this one real Intentional change. (and almonds as snacks, instead of chips/pretzels/saltyCrunchies)
- Exercise more. Self explanatory. My dear friend Nettle started running a while ago, and I am continually inspired by her progress and fitness (and figure). Time to “step up”, pun entirely intended, and get moving myself too. I started the Couch-to-5K process about 4 times now, but had the convenience excuse of “kid’s band/karate/scouts/etc Schedule” to keep me from it every other day. I could probably swap the hour I watch Netflix and snack/drunk before bed to get some Physical Activity instead. Tonight is day 1 of that. 🙂
- Grumble Less. Simple as that. Practice Gratitude, and smiles more. 🙂
- Projects more. With the habit of chilling with Netflix and a beer, or long scrolls of Facebook in bed, I think I could probably do more Productivity Things with my time. This one’s pretty open-ended, but is meant as a mental reminder to “Do Productive Stuff”. It could be things that some may feel are not Important, such as “work on RPG game”, or “Play Minecraft/Skyrim to finally finish that darn unfinished Quest”, or “finalize the Treasure Hunt Things I started”, or even “outline NateHouse floor plan, for 1000th time”, or “blog more”. Regardless, these are things that give Me a smile, or Feel Productive, in the larger scale of things, compared to passively reading content from others, and intention is important. I guess it’s like Artists and the advise to “go make Art”. I need to make my own Art more, as I define it.
There ya go, we’ll see what parts of this spaghetti sticks to the wall, and what sloughs off into the floor for ashes and Composting later. 🙂